Superhero stripes

I am soooo excited for these stripes! I only painted them today but I just had to write this straight away because I love them so much!


Just look at those perfect lines! 

I watched a good couple of hours of YouTube videos and read even more bling post on painting stripes to find out the best way to get really good results. What tape to use? How do I avoid colour bleeding? These were the two things I really wanted to get right. All online sources seem to remomend frog tape so that’s what I chose. I found two different ideas on how best to prevent bleeding and decided to use both of them. The first was to heat the Frog Tape up with a hair dryer, this apparently bonds the tape to the wall better. The second was to paint the edges of the tape the same colour as the stripe underneath, in this case white (I didn’t take a picture of this, I was in a rush to get the room finished before the school run!) the idea is that if paint is going to bleed it’s the same colour as the stripe it’s bleeding onto so it’s not noticeable. I don’t know if one way is better than the other or if it was a mixture of the two but these stripes are pretty close to perfect. There are the few odd very small areas where bleeding did happen but they are hardly noticeable. The worst bits were on the eggshell skirting where I didn’t use either of the above methods. These can be easily touched up. 


Another small problem I had was that the tape had pulled off some of the white paint in the corner where the wall had been freshly plastered. Again this can easily be touched up but it is something to thing about for next time. There are also a few paint splatters on the adjoining wall, possibly because I used a cheap roller.


The Method

First I had to decide on the width of the stripes. The wall is 2120mm high. I decided on the 48mm Frog Tape. I knew I wanted three red stripes, these would be the widest. Four blue stripes and two sliver stripes, the silver being the smallest. That meant there would be eight white stripes separating the other colours. 

48mm x 8 = 384mm 

As this area was set I took it away from the hight of the wall and then played around with some sums to work out the widths of the other colours.

2120 – 384 = 1736mm

I settled on 260mm for each red stripe, 200mm for blue, 60mm for silver. 

260mm x 3 = 780mm total red

200mm x 4 = 800mm total blue

60mm x 2 = 120mm total silver

I had 36mm left over but just added this to the bottom red stripe. Once taped up the wall looked like the picture bellow. Notice I also taped vertically to give a straight edge on the ends. 


After the first coat


I then did another coat and removed the tape as soon as I had finished with the paint still wet. 

The colours used are Dulux Red Stallion 2 and Royal Regatta 2 both in standard matt, the silver is B&Q Colours Feature Wall Metalic Silver. The shine on the sliver is just beautiful, I may have to use it somewhere else in the house! 

Here is the final finished look!

Ta da!


I really couldn’t be happier with the result and Little C loves it too! Now we just have to get his furniture built over the weekend and he can move out of the spare room. 

I hope you like it as much as we do.

Advertisements

Painting bedroom four

The story in brief

In March 2017 myself, my husband, our two children and our Boxer dog moved into our forever home. A 1970’s four bedroom detached house complete with original avocado bathroom suite on the outskirts of Norwich in need of modernisation.  The house we both loved as soon as we walked through the door.  The house that we almost lost four times during the buying process. But a house we are so happy to call our own. 


We have now lived here for five weeks, already we have painted two bedrooms, knocked down three walls and filled one skip. Refurbishing this house is going to take some hard work, there has been blood sweat and tears and I am certain there will be a whole load more! 

The last house we lived in was a practice house that needed more work than this one. We learnt a hell of a lot about DIY techniques and made a lot of mistakes, then we learnt even more by putting them right. I wish we had a record of all the work we had done, before and after pictures, plans and ideas. Something to look back on and say ‘wow we actually did that’. Enter this blog. Me and my husband have multiple ideas some sound great at first but are just not practical and some need a little tweaking. We have forgotten some ideas alread, by writing them down that can’t happen.  We will use this space to jot them down, share before during and after pictures, and look back on what’s worked better than we imagined and what we would do differently. 

I hope you enjoy our journey.